Before reading through today's information on each website and watching Frontline's Digital Nation, I had a different spin on what I thought media literacy meant. While the aspects touched on in both the film and the websites pertain to what my idea of media literacy was, my thoughts on the topic were much more specific and "tunnel-visioned." In my mind, the concept of media literacy really only focused on one's ability to retrieve, evaluate and analyze information presented in a variety of media platforms.
However, after looking at the resources today, I have begun to understand that media literacy has much more depth to it than I originally thought. I think that by utilizing the skills gained by being more literate in this sense is an essential life skill within a 21st century society.
I think that the "state" of our digital nation is something that I have given a lot of thought to, but on a very surface-level. Today's video really made me start to look deeper at the effects of the digital world on our (and our students') brains. I think that right now it is a potentially dangerous time to be a child because, as the film mentioned, we still don't quite know the full impact that screen time and consistent digital engrossment will have on us in the future.
One question I have for myself is how screen-time impacts my own day-to-day activities...I've recently switched from an Android phone to an iphone (way better), and Apple has the "Screen Time" monitor, which I have been tracking since I got the phone, with the goal to decrease my own screen time. Currently, as I check it now, I am 1 minute above my average screen time. whoops. For those of you with kids, or who just want to attempt to control their own screen time, below is a quick 'how to' video about Screen Time

Nicole,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your insight. I also think utilizing the skills gained by being more literate in this sense is an essential life skill within a 21st century society. It is so important to be able to function in today's technology driven world, especially in America. How do you think we can help child not get too consumed in their technologies, especially in the classroom?
Hello! I'm still trying to understand how to balance the two as well! That's why I am a little nervous to even implement more technology in the classroom, because I feel like they are already in their screens enough, that it's challenging to give them even more screen time.
DeleteNicole,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your comment about how dangerous it is to be a kid these days. Other addictions like cigarettes, alcohol, etc. are risky behaviors for older kids and adults. But our youngest humans are at risk of addiction at such a young age. My husband and I have weekly competitions to see who can have the least amount of screen time. We love that feature on the apple phones. It's so good to be aware and reflective of how we spend our time. Do you think this is something that could be incorporated into the classroom?
I would like to incorporate some way of monitoring use of technology in the class, and actually I like that idea of creating competitions about it....but I wonder if maybe I could even make it into some kind of math activity where we have to graph our time...the difficult part for me is 'preaching' moderate use of digital technology but then working to implement it more in my classroom.....
DeleteThanks for your insights about screen time! This is something I am also concerned with. Did you know that you can also set alerts on apps such as instagram, when you go over your daily limit it gives you a notification to let you know how many minutes you have been using it! I wonder how much these reminders and screen time information actually help?
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment, friend.
Delete