How can the SAMR model assist you in integrating with intention?
"...Educational technology does make learning visible, it is the teacher that makes learning meaningful," This quote really helped put integrating technology in the classroom into perspective for me. I think that by discussing the progression of the SAMR model helps clarify integrating with intention. Remembering that just like the levels of Blooms, so too, must we scaffold the use of technology in our classes. I also think that looking at the SAMR model forces us to analyze the effectiveness of the digital activities which we choose to implement, and highly consider the time each new technology will take to teach/enforce with the outcome we will get form using it.
Which analogy for SAMR do you find most helpful?
For me, I think the analogy of surfing was the most helpful in remembering the SAMR model because I came up with it. I like that my surfing model started with the floating person, because floating is something we can all do, and then it builds on skills as the implementation of tools and bigger waves are introduced into the scenario. I think this is similar to the SAMR model in that our classes should all begin at a basic level of understanding, because we should not assume that our students know certain things, and then we should slowly introduce technology and digital concepts-building skills and stamina while doing so. I thought this "SAMR Smash" was a good representation of it's connection with Blooms, which helps us create scaffolded, meaningful lessons that not only promote content knowledge, but also immersive content that engages students in their own learning.
Which level of SAMR can you see yourself using most? Explain why.
"...Educational technology does make learning visible, it is the teacher that makes learning meaningful," This quote really helped put integrating technology in the classroom into perspective for me. I think that by discussing the progression of the SAMR model helps clarify integrating with intention. Remembering that just like the levels of Blooms, so too, must we scaffold the use of technology in our classes. I also think that looking at the SAMR model forces us to analyze the effectiveness of the digital activities which we choose to implement, and highly consider the time each new technology will take to teach/enforce with the outcome we will get form using it. Which analogy for SAMR do you find most helpful?
For me, I think the analogy of surfing was the most helpful in remembering the SAMR model because I came up with it. I like that my surfing model started with the floating person, because floating is something we can all do, and then it builds on skills as the implementation of tools and bigger waves are introduced into the scenario. I think this is similar to the SAMR model in that our classes should all begin at a basic level of understanding, because we should not assume that our students know certain things, and then we should slowly introduce technology and digital concepts-building skills and stamina while doing so. I thought this "SAMR Smash" was a good representation of it's connection with Blooms, which helps us create scaffolded, meaningful lessons that not only promote content knowledge, but also immersive content that engages students in their own learning.
Which level of SAMR can you see yourself using most? Explain why.
I think that one a simple level, I see myself using substitution on a regular basis, since my class next year does have 1-1 computers and I forsee my students using digital devices for writing up final drafts/presentations/etc. However, using these tools on a deeper level will also be part of my "game plan" for next year. I would like to use Googledocs in interactive ways like we have done in class for preparing classroom contracts and expectations, as well as using sites such as Kahoot and Plickers, which I have already used during my student teaching. What I hope to build up to would a stable balance between all 4 pieces, but focus a lot on augmentation/modification. I think for final projects I would look towards more of the redefinition-as many of the tools from the article were super engaging and I think that students could really convey their learning in ways that truly engaged them and are meaningful to them.
Great post! I love how you included the video at the end. It really helps people understand the model and what it is about. I also see myself substituting at first in my classroom. What tool do you think you are most excited about?
ReplyDeleteI think the idea of virtual book reports really caught my interest! I haven't really looked into yet but the idea is intriguing!
DeleteThat interactive component is one that I struggle with. I like doing my stuff on my own then having a conversation about it later. I tend to get lost in an interactive environment like we had in class the other day; once everyone started typing in the google doc, I felt overwhelmed and then I tuned out. And, my mentor teacher this year structured the class to be nearly exclusively individual learning. I have not seen many good examples of interactive learning this year, and the ones we do in our classes feel overwhelming to me so I have a hard time assessing their value. What learning happens for others though? I feel okay planning--by myself--interactive learning and allowing kids to do it, but I just do not understand it nor know what goals to set for those projects. Thanks Nic(k)ole!
ReplyDeleteInteresting about the individual learning in your student teaching experience...reflecting back do you at least see ways now that you could change that in your future classroom?
Delete